img { max-width: 980px; width: expression(this.width > 980 ? 980: true); }

Friday, June 24, 2011

the best meal onboard


tasty airplane food. it sounds like an oxymoron. 99% of the time it is. airplane food has a bad reputation & often for good reason. you're paying $15 for a meal that you wouldn't even normally pay $3 for if only for the sole reason that you weren't stuck in a plane 15,000 miles in the air & hungry as a bear. For some strange reason, I always find myself in an airplane at meal times & when I find myself stuck between two strangers who are both hogging the arm rests and my stomach is ferociously growling because, oh great it also happens to be dinner time, the thoughts crossing my mind at that moment are not often the prettiest. that's when i'm grateful to have packed something to eat for just that very moment.

When it comes to eating a meal on a domestic flight most people have three options, the first option is to purchase a really overpriced sandwich at the airport, the second is to purchase a really overpriced sandwich on the plane and the last option is to impatiently wait to arrive at your destination where you can finally eat a decent meal which usually turns out to be 2 hrs after you initially anticipated because really, when does your luggage ever come out on time? Therefore, the best option which travelers often don't consider is bringing your own food to eat on the plane. I love that this NYTimes article offers meal ideas that sound both pleasing on the wallet & good to eat. When traveling I usually try to bring california rolls or a roasted chicken banh mi, but I'm definitely going to try one of these meal ideas the next time I travel!

NY Times Article, "Pack A Picnic for Your Next Flight"

No comments:

Post a Comment